Few things can strike terror into a parent’s heart than a call that their child has been injured. When that injury happens at a daycare, the terror can be mixed with anger and frustration, especially if you learn that the injury happened because the daycare provider didn’t take enough precautions to prevent the injury in the first place.
In Florida, daycare providers have what is called a duty of care to provide a safe environment for their young charges. If they don’t provide this duty of care, they can be found liable for the child’s injuries and owe compensation to the family of the injured child.
At The Beregovich Law Firm we represent families in daycare accident cases to help them recover damages that can be use to offset medical expenses, time off from work to care for the child, and pain and suffering.
Negligence At Daycare Facilities
Parents pay daycare centers to take care of their children when they can’t do it themselves. There is a reasonable expectation that care will be provided and the child properly supervised at all times. When injuries happen, many times it can be traced back to simple neglect, for which there is no excuse.
Daycares may be found liable for a child’s injuries in the following types of situations:
- Slips and falls
- Playground accidents
- Choking accidents
- Injuries from children fighting
- Daycare abuse
Daycare Accidents: What to Do If Your Child Is Injured
If your child is injured during a daycare accident, it’s important to take quick and appropriate action to ensure they receive the medical attention they need and to document the incident. Here are some steps you should take:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Even if the injury seems minor, it’s important to have a healthcare professional assess your child’s condition.
- Report the incident to the daycare staff and ask for an incident report to be filled out. Make sure to get a copy for your records.
- Take photographs of the scene and any injuries. This will be helpful in documenting the incident and may be necessary for any future legal proceedings.
- Keep detailed records of all medical expenses, including doctor visits and any medications prescribed.
If you suspect that the accident was due to negligence on the part of the daycare staff, you may want to consider consulting with a daycare injury attorney.
Daycare Providers in Florida
In Florida, daycare providers have a legal duty of care to ensure the safety and well-being of the children in their care. This means that they are responsible for providing a safe and healthy environment, supervising the children at all times, and taking appropriate action in the event of an emergency or accident.
Daycare providers are also required to follow all state and local regulations and guidelines, including those related to staffing, training, and the maintenance of the facility. They must also conduct regular safety inspections, ensure that all necessary safety equipment is in place, and have emergency procedures in place.
In addition, daycare providers have a responsibility to report any suspected abuse or neglect to the appropriate authorities. If a daycare provider fails to meet their duty of care, they may be held liable for any injuries or accidents that occur as a result.
Types of Daycare Negligence That Can Lead to Accidents
In Florida, common types of daycare negligence that can lead to accidents include:
- Lack of supervision: Daycare providers have a duty to supervise children at all times, and if they fail to do so, accidents can occur.
- Failure to maintain a safe environment: Daycare providers are responsible for maintaining the facility, equipment, and playgrounds in a safe condition.
- Lack of staff training: Daycare providers must ensure that their staff is properly trained to handle emergencies, accidents, fights, and injuries.
- Failure to report child abuse: Daycare providers are required by law to report any suspected child abuse or neglect to the appropriate authorities.
- Failure to follow state and local regulations: Daycare providers must comply with all state and local regulations, including those related to staffing, training, and the maintenance of the facility.
- Medication errors: daycare providers have the responsibility of administering medication correctly to children, if they fail to do so, it can lead to accidents.
It’s important for parents to be aware of these types of negligence and to take steps to protect their children by researching and choosing a reputable daycare facility and staying informed about the facility’s policies and procedures.
What Is a Daycare Injury Lawyer, And How Can a Daycare Injury Lawyer Help My Family?
A daycare injury lawyer is an attorney who specializes in representing families whose children have been injured as a result of daycare negligence. They can help your family by:
- Investigating the accident: A daycare injury lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the accident, including interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and gathering evidence.
- Determining liability: A daycare injury lawyer will review the evidence and determine if the daycare provider was negligent in their duty of care.
- Filing a lawsuit: If the daycare provider is found to be negligent, a daycare injury lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf seeking compensation for your child’s injuries and related expenses, such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiating a settlement: A daycare injury lawyer can negotiate with the daycare provider’s insurance company on your behalf to reach a settlement that is fair and just for your family.
- Representing your family in court: If a settlement cannot be reached, a daycare injury lawyer will represent your family in court and argue your case before a judge and jury.
Contact The Beregovich Law Firm If Your Child Was Injured At Day Care
The Beregovich Law Firm handles many different types of daycare accident and injury cases. We work closely with families to minimize the stress and strain that reliving the event can create, while still aggressively pursuing justice for you and your child. If your child has been injured at daycare and you think the facility is to blame for the injury, contact us at (800) 631-9009 or email@example.com for a free and confidential consultation.
5 of the Most Common Daycare Injuries and When to Worry
As parents, we are willing to accept the fact that at some point, our kids will get hurt or injured. Skinned knees and elbows, bruises, and twisted ankles are par for the course of childhood. When injuries happen at a friend’s house or at home, we are more inclined to shrug them off than when […]
Documentation Is Crucial to Private Daycare Negligence Lawsuits
Winning a daycare negligence lawsuit means proving that the daycare provider breached their duty of care to prevent injuries and provide a safe environment for children. Simply accusing the providers of being negligent in this duty of care won’t win any cases. Like all personal injury cases, you need proof or evidence. Documentation is one […]
Protect Your Child From Daycare Negligence
It’s hard enough leaving your child with a daycare provider to go to work. It’s even harder when the news is filled with horror stories of children who have been neglected or injured at daycare facilities. What can parents do to ensure they are choosing a safe and qualified daycare provider? Although daycare negligence is […]