To visit the United States for Business you will need to obtain a Temporary Visitors for Business Visa, unless you qualify for admission without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.


You may be eligible for a B-1 visa if you will be participating in business activities of a commercial or professional nature in the United States, including, but not limited to:

  • Consulting with Business Associates
  • Traveling for a Scientific, Educational, Professional or Business Convention or a Conference on Specific Dates
  • Settling an Estate
  • Negotiating a Contract
  • Participating in Short-Term Training
  • Transiting Through the United States: Certain Persons May Transit the United States With a B-1 Visa
  • Deadheading: Certain Air Crewmen May Enter the United States as Deadhead Crew With a B-1 Visa

You Must Demonstrate The Following In Order To Be Eligible To Obtain A B-1 Visa:

  • The Purpose of Your Trip is to Enter the United States for Business of a Legitimate Nature
  • You Plan to Remain for a Specific Limited Period of Time
  • You Have the Funds to Cover the Expenses of the Trip and Your Stay in the United States
  • You Have a Residence Outside the United States in Which You Have No Intention of Abandoning, As-Well-As Other Binding Ties Which Will Ensure Your Return Abroad at the End of the Visit
  • You Are Otherwise Admissible to the United States

You may apply for a B-1 visitor visa to work in the United States as a personal or domestic employee for your employer in limited situations. You may work in the United States on a visitor visa if your employer is:

  • A U.S. Citizen Who Has a Permanent Home or is Stationed in a Foreign Country But is Visiting or is Assigned to the United States Temporarily; or
  • A Foreign Citizen Who is in the United States on One of the Following Non-Immigrant Visa Categories: A, B, E, F, H, I, J, L, M, O, P, or Q.

Certain B-1 Visa activities require an Employment Authorization Document. If you are in the United States in another valid nonimmigrant status, you may be eligible to change to B-1 status. The B-1 Visa gives you up to 6 months; maximum total amount of time permitted is generally 1 year.


The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables nationals of 35 participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Nationals of VWP countries must meet eligibility requirements to travel without a visa on the VWP. VWP travelers are required to have a valid authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to travel. Travelers are screened at the port of entry into the United States and are enrolled in the Department of Homeland Security’s US-VISIT program. For a current list of VWP countries click here.